Lentil Cauliflower Curry- VEGAN Dish
- 2-4 tbsp vegetable oil ( I used olive for sautéing onion then used avocado for cauliflower) Use what you like.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
- dash of cayenne powder
- ⅓ cup dry lentils
- 1 cup vegetable broth, hot
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 can can coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- large small bag of spinach
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat 1-2 tbsp of the oil and gently cook the onion for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils. Pour in the broth, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and leave to gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the cauliflower and carrots until lightly browned. Add to the lentil mixture with the carrot and coconut milk.
- Bring the curry to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the peas and cook for 3–4 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice
- Add spinach at the end. Let it wilt. Serve as is or with rice.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley if you like, then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- serves 4
This would make a tasty lunch or fantastic side with your cod, seabass, roasted chicken or roasted lamb. Give it a try.