Pesto-Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
- 2-4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 splash white wine (I used pinot grigio)
- 3-4 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs ( I used Gluten Fee)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (italian blend works well)
- Remove stems from mushrooms and finely chop stems.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir chopped mushroom stems, shallot, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Add breadcrumbs and butter and melt. Pour wine into the skillet; cook and stir mixture until liquid is evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add and mix in pesto sauce and cheese. Cool mixture to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and place in foil pouch.
- Brush the olive oil mixture over the top each mushroom and place, top-side up, on foil. Mix pesto with the mushroom stem mixture together in a bowl; spoon into each mushroom. Sprinkle cheese over the filling.
- Grill mushrooms until edges are blackened and stuffing is bubbling, about 10 minutes. (if you want grill marks – when done cooking- remove from foil and place on hot grate for 1 minute).