Amazing Mac & Cheese (not your kid’s kind of lunch)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- ¾ cup italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ ounce Parmesan, finely grated (about ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cavatappi or other short curly pasta
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ small onion, grated (finely chopped – about size of a clementine)
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces emmentaler cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Gruyère, grated
- 7 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated
- 7 ounces baby swiss cheese, grated
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 lb of good curly or elbow type pasta ( I used DeCecco Cavatappi)
Mince onion and garlic. Saute in skillet with 4 tablespoons of butter, until translucent. Add breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil . Cook the pasta.
Grade the cheeses put aside.
In a sauce pan heat two tablespoons of butter. Add 2 tablespoons of flour. cook until light brown. Add warm milk slowly. It will thicken. Add handfuls of cheese to the sauce. Add a dash of cayenne.
Place cooked pasta in a large glass baking dish – that has been buttered. Add cheese, stir and coat all pasta. Add breadcrumb topping. Bake at 350 for 10-20 minutes. You want the cheese bubbling and the breadcrumbs toasty golden brown.
IMG_1198 click to watch
Ready to Eat – makes fantastic left overs!!