Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery chopped (same size as diced onion)
- 1 bell pepper diced OR 1 small jar of green chiles (I used the jar in this recipe)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 cups of chicken broth or shrimp stock
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 – 2 lbs of deveined shrimp peeled
- 1 lb of andouille sausage (use the d’artagnan brand) and slice
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- 1 tspn onion powder
- 1 tspn paparika
- 1 tspn black pepper
- 4 chopped green onions -scallions
- 1 package of sazon seasoning
- 1-3 tspns of cayenne pepper (taste as you go along to get the heat you prefer)
- 2 tbspn cajun spice blend (your favorite)
- ¾ flour (¼ for shrimp and ½ cup for roux)
- Olive oil….will use as you go along
- 1 package of okra thawed. Rinse it can be slimy but will cook down.
- Cooked white rice (I cooked 2 cups…make as much as you like)
Click here and watch how it is made
Dice onion, celery, and pepper. Add 2 tbspn of oil to large pan. When hot add onion, celery, and pepper. Saute until tender. Add miced garlic and sliced sausage to onion mixture. Cook for 5- 10 minutes. You want the fat and spicy flavor to come out the of the sausage. When cooked remove from pan and add a bit more oil (coat bottom of pan).
Add shrimp coated in spice & flour mixture. Dredge shrimp in ¼ flour, sazon packet, and 1 tbspn of cajun spice mixture. Place shrimp in pan and sear on both sides. Set aside when finished and start your roux.
Add more oil to pan (about 2-3 tablespoons). Add ½ cup of flour and mix with the whisk until brown in color. This will happen quickly. The darker the better. Add 3 cups of broth to roux. Continue to mix together. Add whole can of diced tomatoes with liquid and stir.
While you’re cooking the shrimp place the okra in a small, dry saute pan. You will cook on medium heat to get rid of the slimy texture and brown it a bit. When ready add to the tomato and broth mixture.
Add your veggies, shrimp, and sausage to the large pan. Stir gently. Taste and add more seasoning to your liking. I like this with a little heat so I added a couple more dashes of cayenne.
Serve over rice. And garnish with freshly chopped scallions.
Makes about 6 servings.